The information below is regarding prevention and early help services available in Southampton.
What is Families Matter?
Families Matter is Southampton’s response to the Government’s Troubled Families Agenda. It is an approach which identifies those families with multiple and complex needs who require support to prevent these issues escalating. Families Matter will be delivered via multi agency prevention and early help services across the City of Southampton, led by Southampton City Council’s 0- 19 Service. The Government will measure our effectiveness in supporting families to achieve positive progress against a number of key ‘strands’. For more information see links below:
Sure Start Children’s Centres
Sure Start Children’s Centres operate across the city and are there for all families with children under 5? From the early days of pregnancy, through the pre-school years, and introduction to primary schools, your local Sure Start is there to help give your child the best start in life.
Sure Start offers lots of different services and activities, including:
- Learning through play in our “come and play” and “family points” (health, help and play) sessions
- Health advice from midwives, health visitors, other health professionals, family points and child health clinics within the Children’s Centres
- Family support
- Information and guidance on breast feeding, health and nutrition
- Smoking cessation support
- Support for families with children with additional needs
- Speech and language support
- Advice and support for parents including dads groups and young parents
- Training courses: We offer various training courses throughout the city including parenting classes, ESOL, money management, healthy cooking plus much more
- Information for parents on childcare, volunteering, training and job opportunities
- Quick and easy access to wider services
For more information go to sid.southampton.gov.uk
Family Information Service
The Southampton Family Information Service gives advice and support to parents, and help for childcare providers. This includes advice on:
- nurseries and pre schools
- local childminders
- parenting and family support
- parent and toddler groups
- children’s health
- breakfast clubs
- after school activities
- out of school/holiday activities
- working with children
For more information please email email@example.com OR call FREE on 0800 169 8833 or local rate 0238083 3014
Children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) (Local Offer 0-25)
Information for parents about services for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disability can be found at sid.southampton.gov.uk.